Northwestern State University has been closely monitoring the COVID-19 outbreak in coordination with state and local health departments.? This website will serve as the university’s central source of updates and information about COVID-19.? This website is not intended to be all-encompassing and should not be considered to be providing medical or legal advice. In all instances, you should consult with a relevant expert for guidance specific to your circumstances.
A Message From Dr. Maggio
We have completed the first week of classes after returning from Spring Break and marked another week of working remotely.? Students have been engaged and understanding as they continued their academic activities, many in a new format.? I realize there were monumental challenges for everyone, but a number of people have shared inspirational stories of support and assistance from faculty colleagues, fellow students and staff members throughout the university.? This is deeply appreciated but not surprising.? That is the norm at Northwestern.? It is especially gratifying that our faculty are providing such effective and compassionate support to students in these difficult times.? It is still my firm belief that we will be a stronger, more vibrant university as we emerge from these most difficult times in our history.? Thanks all of you for your patience and perseverance, and please be safe and take care of yourselves and your loved ones.
Earlier this week, we announced a modified Academic Affairs Grading Policy for Spring 2020 (see below).? We mentioned in the email that we would continue to provide additional information and guidance to students, faculty and advisors on the COVID-19 Grading Policy. [FAQs for COVID-19 Academic Affairs Grading Policy and COVID-19 Grading Policy Spring 2020]?This is additional guidance with answers to some initial questions regarding the policy.? We will continue to develop appropriate documents and guidance and keep you informed as that process progresses.
NSU Executive Vice President Dr. Marcus Jones left the university in late February for his new role as Executive Vice President of Operations for the University of Louisiana System.? Dr. Jones is doing an outstanding job in that position and has certainly been a vital resource in our response to COVID-19. As you will remember, we announced at the time of his departure that his executive vice president duties would be temporarily assigned to other personnel.
Because of these extraordinary circumstances and future uncertainty, the vice-presidency vacated by Dr. Jones will not be filled.? Instead, Pat Jones will continue to supervise Business Affairs, Dr. Greg Handel will continue to oversee International Recruiting, and Jennifer Kelly will assume the additional duties of supervising the Physical Plant, Capital Outlay, Plant Services and Environmental Health, Safety and Compliance and University Police.? She will maintain supervision of the University Auxiliary Services areas. Thanks to Dr. Darlene Williams and Mrs. Frances Conine for the additional supervisory responsibilities that they assumed over the past month and their assistance in the transition of these functions to Mrs. Kelly.
Please continue to monitor our website, www.ghdhairinuk.com/covid-19 for updates.? Thank you for your extraordinary efforts, and please let me know if I may assist you in any way.
- One counselor will be available face to face, in the Counseling Office in the Student Union from 8 a.m.-3 p.m. Monday-Thursday and 8 a.m.-noon Friday.
- All counselors will be available during regular office hours for teletherapy.
- Counselors will remain on call for crisis counseling.
- Updates on coping with COVID-19 will be posted on the Counseling Website: http://ccs.nsula.edu/
- Iberville Dining Hall remains open for takeout meals only. New hours are 11:00 a.m. – 1:30 p.m. daily. Your Meal Plan, DCB, Cash or Credit Card can be used. You will also be able to pick up a boxed Dinner meal during these hours for an additional meal swipe that will include multiple items to choose from for your dinner selection. Download the Sodexo BITE App to see the daily menus. We will also post to NSU Student Concerns Facebook page.
- Chick-fil-a remains open for takeout orders from 10:30 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. Monday – Saturday. We accept DCB, cash or credit cards.
- Café DeMon is closed until further notice.
Meal Plan Refunds
- Any student on a traditional meal plan will be issued a 25 percent credit to their student account. The credit will first be applied to any outstanding balance on the student’s account, with the remainder being paid as a refund.
- Residential students and non-residential students who are on a traditional meal plan and wish to continue using dining services through the end of the semester, please email Jennifer Kelly at firstname.lastname@example.org to continue.
Declining Balance Meal Plans
- Any student who currently has an all-declining balance plan (Vic’s Max, Vic’s Lite, and Commuter) will be allowed to use their remaining DCB this semester, summer and through the Fall 2020 semester. The declining balance dollars remaining on the 19-meal plan, 14-meal plan, 5-meal plan plus, and 25 meal-plan plus will also be available for the rest of this semester as well as summer and Fall 2020.
- If you are a graduating senior this semester, please contact Jennifer Kelly at email@example.com
- If you have any questions regarding your meal plan, please contact Jennifer Kelly at firstname.lastname@example.org
- The university is working on the process to issue the Housing and Meal Plan credits, and we will continue to update you on the progress.
Please email your questions to email@example.com and we will respond to your email. Please make sure you include your name and student ID number and all communication should come from your student email address.
As we transition to working remotely and online, please know that processing and response times could be delayed. Your patience and understanding during this time are greatly appreciated.
We will continue to strive to give the best student service that we can with the limitations and restrictions that are being put in place. As always, we are dedicated to one goal. YOURS.
- A nurse will be available in the campus clinic 8 a.m.- noon Monday-Friday.
- A nurse will be available by phone from noon-4 p.m. Monoday-Thursday.
- Information for calls will be posted on the clinic doors and on the website.
Students who move off-campus for the remainder of the semester:
- NSU will issue residential students a 25 percent credit to their student accounts if:
- Students must complete the Housing Questionnaire on MyNSU to declare your intentions by Monday, March 30, 2020
- Students must complete check-out procedures and move off-campus by Monday, March 30, 2020
- Should you have an extenuating circumstance that prevents you from moving out by March 30, please contact Stephanie Dyjack at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The credit will first be applied to any outstanding balance on the student’s account, with any remainder being paid as a refund.
Students who must stay on-campus for the remainder of the semester:
Will be responsible for their full semester room rate, and you need to:
- Complete the Housing Questionnaire on MyNSU to declare your intentions by Monday, March 30, 2020
- Students who do not complete the Housing Questionnaire on MyNSU to declare your intentions by Monday, March 30, 2020, will be responsible for the full amount.
- If you have questions or need assistance, please contact Stephanie Dyjack at email@example.com.
Office of Disability Support
Academic Advising Services
Academic Advising Services
Abbie Landry firstname.lastname@example.org
Cammie G. Henry Research Center
Sharon Wolff email@example.com
Debbie Huntington firstname.lastname@example.org
Jackie Hawkins email@example.com
Heather Ritter firstname.lastname@example.org
Patricia Brown email@example.com
Serials and Media
Anna MacDonald firstname.lastname@example.org
Shreveport Nursing Library
Sherri Voebel email@example.com
March 26???????????? 1pm – 3pm
March 30???????????? 1pm – 3pm
March 31???????????? 7am-noon
April 8?? ??????????????? 11am – 4:30pm
April 15 ??????????????? 9am – noon
April 16???????????????? 10am -1pm
April 21???????????????? 7am – noon
April 22???????????????? 7am – noon
Faculty & Staff Resources
Online Training Faculty/Staff Questions or ConcernsAdditional Online Academic Resources
All on-campus events have been canceled through April 15.? We will re-evaluate the situation at that time to make determinations about events scheduled for later.? Commencement is postponed at this time and we are working to reschedule a date as we learn more information when we can hold large gatherings, etc.